The City Attorney was appointed in accordance with Utah law and Midvale City ordinances.
Duties of the City Attorney’s Office include:
- Participating in negotiations
- Overseeing lawsuits initiated or defended on behalf of Midvale City
- Drafting and reviewing contracts
- Creating and amending ordinances
- Providing counsel to departments regarding land use and code enforcement
- Assisting with economic development and redevelopment
- Providing legal opinions to City officials
The Attorney's office also prosecutes the following types of offenses that occur within the city:
- Domestic violence
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Misdemeanor and infraction-level offenses
The City Attorney and staff cannot provide legal advice to residents on personal legal matters. The City Attorney only provides legal advice to the City’s elected and appointed officials. Private legal matters must be handled by attorneys retained by the person seeking legal advice.
The Midvale City Prosecutor's Office maintains the following Prosecution Policies.