Updated Midvale City Cemetery Rules and Regulations
Important Announcement: Updated Midvale City Cemetery Rules and Regulations
We want to inform you about the upcoming changes to the Midvale City Cemetery Rules and Regulations, which will come into effect on September 1, 2023. These amendments are designed to ensure the efficient and respectful operation of our cemetery while maintaining its beauty and tranquility.
Here are the key updates you should be aware of:
- Cemetery Operations: The Cemetery Superintendent or designee will oversee all cemetery operations, ensuring smooth functioning and adherence to the regulations.
- Pricing and Fees: The price of Cemetery graves and associated fees will be clearly listed on the Midvale City Fee Schedule for transparency.
- Burial Arrangements: A 48-hour notice to the Cemetery office is required for all burial arrangements. The notification deadlines for different burial days have been specified to help streamline the process.
- For a burial on Monday or Tuesday, notification to the City is due on the prior Thursday by noon.
- For burial on Wednesday, notification to the City is due on the prior Monday by noon.
- For burial on Thursday, notification to the City is due on the prior Tuesday by noon.
- For a burial on Friday, notification to the City is due on the prior Wednesday by noon.For a burial on Saturday, notification to the City is due on the prior Thursday by noon.
- Non-Burial Dates: Certain dates and circumstances have been identified when burial services will not take place, including public holidays and special events.
- New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and during the City's Harvest Days Celebration;
- Sundays; and
- Any day deemed necessary by the Cemetery Superintendent due to staffing, scheduling, weather, or unforeseen circumstances.
- Headstone Regulations: The installation and work on headstones require prior approval from the Public Works Department. Special consideration for headstone setting between October 15 and March 1 will be based on weather conditions.
- Upright Headstones: Upright headstones can be up to 30" from ground level and necessitate a fee of $500 before the headstone is installed.
- Headstone Limit and Placement: Only one headstone per grave is allowed, placed at the head of the grave. A second marker for veterans, supplied by the Veteran’s Administration, can be placed at the foot of the grave.
- Headstone Size: Specific measurements have been defined for headstones, ensuring a uniform and visually pleasing appearance within the cemetery.
- Double Headstone- Overall headstone and concrete border (mow strip) shall not exceed 72 inches wide by 28 inches deep and 30 inches ta (upright).
- Single Headstone- Overall headstone and concrete border (mow strip) shall not exceed 36 inches wide by 28 inches deep and 30 inches tall (upright).
- Urn Placements: Any request to place an urn inside a headstone requires approval from the Public Works Department.
- Vase Placement: Permanent vases must be inserted into the headstone/marker's cement or stone base, recessed to ground level when not in use.
- Liability and Damage: As provided in Midvale Municipal Code 12.20.140, the City is not liable for damage to headstones, markers, tombstones, or monuments unless the City caused such damage. The City is not responsible for the repair of chipped, scratched, or scraped headstones.
- Decorum and Decorations: Properly displayed flowers and decorations add to the beauty and character of the Cemetery. Therefore, decorations are permitted to stay on the headstone within the vase or concrete border permanently as long as they do not infringe upon the mow strip or become unsightly. Any decorations, including artificial flowers, that infringe on the mow strip or interfere with scheduled maintenance will be removed and discarded weekly. Furthermore, the Cemetery will be cleaned on the last Thursday of every month with discretion given to recent burials and holidays.
- Detrimental Decorations: Decorations that are detrimental to adjacent lots, walks, or become unsightly may be removed by the City.
- Timely Removal of Decorations: Any grave decorations not removed within 14 days after a holiday will be removed and discarded by cemetery staff.
- Floral Arrangements: Unsightly funeral flowers and floral pieces will be removed and discarded.
- Glass Prohibition: The use of glass containers, including vases, is prohibited to maintain safety and cleanliness.
- Shepherd's Hooks: The use of shepherd's hooks is not allowed and will be removed.
- Planting Restrictions: Planting plants, shrubs, flowers, or trees within the City Cemetery is prohibited.
- Boundary Markers: No lot or grave shall be defined by fences, railings, coping, hedges, trees, shrubs, comer posts, or any other markers to describe its comers or boundaries.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in adhering to these updated rules and regulations. By working together, we can ensure that the Midvale City Cemetery remains a place of peace and respect for all.
For any inquiries or clarifications, please contact Public Works at 801-567-7235.