Engage Icon Engage Midvale gives people the opportunity to have their say on issues that are important to them, at a time and place of their choice.         Sign up, and have your say, at EngageMidvale.com

Special Event Permit

Will your event require a Special Event Permit?

Special events play a significant role in bringing the community together and supporting the local economy. Midvale City's Special Event process is designed to ensure that your event is successful while taking into consideration the protection of the public’s health and safety.

Most special events located on private property will not require a permit but will be required to comply with all city ordinances including road closures, noise levels, and noise curfews. If your event includes the following, you will need to apply for a Special Event Permit:

  • Any event of any size on city property (city parks, city-owned parking lots, city streets & sidewalks.)
  • An event that will last more than 2 hours and be attended by more than 500 people.
  • Block Party
Special Event Permit Fees are approved and adopted each year by the Midvale City Council via the Midvale City Municipal Fee Schedule.

  1. Special Event Permit Application Review fee: $100 (non-refundable) unless the event qualifies for an exemption.
  2. Filming Permit Application Review fee: $320 (non-refundable) unless the event qualifies for an exemption.
  3. Cost Recovery: You could potentially incur costs for any services provided beyond “basic city services” necessary to protect the safety, health, and welfare of the public. An Estimate of Cost Recovery form will be provided to you before the event. A permit will not be issued until the cost of the estimate has been paid. Additional city services could include, but are not limited to, police services, and/or park cleanup.
Insurance is required for special events unless the event qualifies for an exemption.

The latest a Special Event Permit Application can be submitted is no later than 30 days prior to the start date of the event and prior to any advertising. Filming permit applications must be submitted no later than 4 days before filming date(s).

State, UDOT, and County Permits

Salt Lake County Mass Gathering Permit

Events that attract more than 500 people must adequately meet restroom, first aid, waste disposal, and other requirements. To ensure that event organizers meet these important needs, the health department requires organizers of large events to have a Mass Gathering Permit.

Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT)

Special events or Filming held on any state roadway(s) may also require an additional permit from the Utah Department of Transportation. Contact Alicia Stinson, UDOT Permits Officers, at 801-887-8763 or astinson@utah.gov.